Monday, August 24, 2020

Summertime stitching slump

 August hasn't been a great month for stitching, and pretty soon the fall yard work/cleanup is going to cut into my time but for now I'm going to try to get back into the groove for a while! A new Mirabilia model arrived a couple of weeks ago, so that will be my focus for the next couple of months.

Speaking of Mirabilia I received an email from Amber at Rensel Studio with some mat/frame options for Princess Elliana. After a bit of shuffling things around this is what I chose:

Now the real waiting begins; I doubt I will see this again until the end of the year at the earliest as Jill and Amber are swamped with even more work than usual right now. I can't wait to see how they decorate the mats--so many fun elements in the design to play with!

I spent another weekend working on Cinderella Castle, and now I think I remember why I've put off stitching this for so long--the fireworks are a pain! They are done with two strands of Glissengloss Prizm Holographic thread; to avoid knotting I pull it through the fabric a lot more slowly than regular floss so it takes longer to see results. Add to that the counting required over the dark fabric to get the placement right and the size of the finished fireworks and I'm looking at several weekends just to get them done. On the plus side once they're out of the way the castle itself should feel like it's stitching up quickly! Here is my meager progress as of now:

My temperature SAL continues to grow, now almost three quarters of the way through the year:

I do have a small finish to share, which is Joan Elliott's Luna Biscornu. I chose black Belfast for the fabric and I love how it makes the colors almost glow:

Not sure when I'll feel like attempting to finish it into a biscornu as I've never done one before, but it'll be waiting when I'm ready. Or maybe I'll send it to SewMuch2Luv and have her use it in a stitching bag...

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

8 comments:

  1. May I ask where the Luna biscornu was published - was it in a magazine? It’s absolutely stunning!! And the biscornu looks more intimidating than it really is to assemble. With stitching as beautiful as yours, I’m certain you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure where it was originally released. I saw a photo of it that someone had stitched in Joan's FB group a couple of months ago, so I recently contacted Joan and was able to get the chart from her. She is getting it ready for release on her site, so it should be readily available from shops or Joan herself soon. HTH!

      Delete
  2. That is going to be a gorgeous framed piece!
    I'm sure Jill & Amber will do it justice, they are so creative.
    Great progress on Cinderella.
    The temp SAL is looking pretty, it's going to be very hot this week in WI!
    I think that Biscornu will be on my list,it's gorgeous on black!
    Here's a link, they are not hard to do.
    https://www.creativepoppypatterns.com/images/Image/File/How-to-make-a-biscornu(1).pdf
    Hope the link works. Otherwise you can google it.
    Have a great week!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the link! I have downloaded the instructions and will definitely be using them when I try the finishing. :)

      Delete
    2. All the pieces are beautiful! I look forward to seeing more of the Cinderella Castle. Love your finish.

      Delete
  3. Princess Elliana is gorgeous, the mounts are wonderful and I can't wait to see how they decorate them. Their work is always stunning.
    The biscornu is so pretty too. Good luck FFO'in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elliana is going to look great with these matts, and I love the biscornu! Please just try and finish it, biscornu are fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The princess will look awesome. I have no doubt about it.
    Go R, go! That's the spirit. Good girl!
    The temperature thing makes progress and gets more colors. That looks great!

    ReplyDelete