Monday, November 1, 2021

Mira Mervember

A few years ago in the Mira, Mira on the Wall group on FB someone came up with an event called Mervember SAL, which basically meant that you started a Mirabilia or Nora Corbett mermaid design on November 1 and tried to complete it by October 31 of the following year. I was asked about it by a member recently and after determining that there was interest in doing it again I created an event for it in the group. However, events can now only be set up for a maximum of two weeks and of course most of these mermaids are going to take much longer than that to complete so I ended up creating a new group for the SAL that can run for a year. It's up and running now and people have started posting their starts/WIPs, so please feel free to come over and check it out.

I have at least one of the larger mermaids started (several years ago now) but I decided to stick with one or two of the smaller Nora Corbett designs--they both call for the same flosses, so as long as I've pulled the materials for one I figured I might as well stitch both. These are the two I plan to do, and now I just need to figure out which one to put on this orphan fabric from Ship's Manor:

I need to get some cleaning done today but I'm hoping to make a start and at least stitch for two or three hours tonight.

Last week I was hoping that the second block of Black'd Skie would be done on Wednesday but it actually took until Friday night to complete:


I then spent a couple of days getting caught up on part 3 of The Rooky Wood:


The house (?) in this part is what drew me to the design in the first place so now I'm really looking forward to parts 6 and 7, which should have the main part of it included. Deb's designs are always so nice to stitch, and relatively easy to stay caught up with because each part usually only takes two or three days to complete.

Last night I spent a few hours on the new Rosewood Manor model, which is only about 10" x 5" so I won't even have to add extensions to my Qsnap for it--makes for a nice change from the big ones once in a while.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week, and happy Mervember!

13 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for a group.
    Love that unique orphan fabric!
    happy Mervember!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric makes me want to play with some photosensitive dyes--but of course I'll never actually do it as it takes too much time away from stitching.

      Delete
  2. Melanie: I love Mermaids, I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
    The other two designs are wonderful, that fabric is amazing.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. I stitched a little bit of mermaid hair on 11/1, thinking of doing some more this weekend if the mood strikes.

      Delete
  3. That fabric is amazing. I wonder how a cool toned color conversion would look on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool colors would be better--I pulled all the smaller mermaids but they're all pretty bright; these two were the closest to looking like they'd work with the fabric. If I tried to do a conversion I'd probably just not start the project at all because I already have so many other projects calling to me that it's hard to make myself spend the time to do it right. The lament of stitchers everywhere--never enough time!

      Delete
  4. Great work staying caught up on your SALs, and hope you have lots of fun with your mermaids! I hope to stitch some of those some day as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leonore! Isn't it funny how many designs we "hope to stitch...some day"--my favorites that I've collected and not yet stitched even one are some James Himsworth designs and of course Terrence Nolan's Dimples Designs. I hope when I finally get to them they're as amazing as I've always thought they would be!

      Delete
  5. Those two tiny mermaids are lovely. I've only stitched one of Nora's Mermaids - Bluebeard's Princess and I adore her. I did consider doing Gypsy Mermaid as a companion but I prefer her witchy pixies and the new Zodiac Girls! So many gorgeous designs to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora is so much more prolific than she used to be that it's impossible to keep up. I think her Midnight Hour is my favorite of the Bewitching Pixies, though I like Masqued Mischief because it makes me think of Nora locked down in NY during Covid and drawing what we were all living with at the time--kind of a reminder of the times.

      Delete
    2. Midnight Hour is definitely more how I spent lockdown! Although it should be a coffee cup not a wine glass! The pile of books is right though!

      Delete