Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Snow Maiden

Mirabilia MD179 The Snow Maiden was released today so I can finally share pictures of this icy beauty:


 





I love the description from the Mirabilia site: "Her name is Snegurocka. For many years, there have been plays and music written from this Russian fairy tale about a girl made out of snow."

Not sure if Snegurocka is a misprint, but when I Googled I got results for Snegurochka. I've never heard of her but I like the story, even if it's kind of sad (the one where she gets a warm heart and then melts...).

Fun fact: when I stitched her she was called Snow Storm Queen.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

13 comments:

  1. Melanie: She is beautiful, I like the story of her name.
    However, I do like the Snow Storm Queen the best.

    Merry Christmas
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. I liked Snow Storm Queen as well, as it looks like she's in one (or maybe making one!), but The Snow Maiden better explains the white skin, since she's made of snow. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Must be a misprint because you're correct, snow maiden is snegurochka. Sneg is the Russian word for snow. You did a lovely job on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Didn't know that about sneg; the "ochka" vs "ocka" definitely makes it seem more Russian. :D

      Delete
  3. She's gorgeous!
    Love those colors, & that sweet face.
    Great job stitching her.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I love her face as well, and now that I know she's "made out of snow" the white adds to the story. When I stitched her I imagined her as an ice queen creating a snow storm.

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful design and lovely stitching too.
    I'm off to Google the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is amazing! Beautiful!
    There is a good novel written about the snow child:
    The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. It was a Pulitzer finalist for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book info, I've added it to my list.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's a pretty 'cool' design! Love the flowers and pattern on her skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those flowers as well; hoping to stitch her for myself at some point.

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of her before, she's gorgeous! So many beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colors, so soft and pretty; I have a fun piece of fabric set aside for her for whenever I find time to stitch her for myself.

      Delete