Monday, November 25, 2019

Temperature Stitch Along

I've always liked the idea of stitching a daily temperature chart for a year's high temperatures, but I'd never found a format that I liked until Carolyn Manning released one last week. It's based on a granny square afghan, which means stitching 379 little squares (or diamonds, since they're tilted)--I'm about 1/25th of the way there!


I decided to use light purple linen and dark purple floss for the squares; living in Wisconsin means there will be quite a bit of white used for the lower temperatures and I wanted to provide some contrast. I also created my own motifs for each temperature range, so it will be fun watching this come to life next year.

I plan to work on the squares periodically when I need a break from the Tempting Tangles model I started last week, and which I hope to finish sometime around the end of the year. The current TT SAL is Quakers in Japan, which has had the first four parts released to date:


Mirabilia's MD169 was finished, accepted and sent back last week, after discovering one last error that meant pulling out one of the colors used in different areas and replacing it. That wouldn't have been quite so bad if I hadn't already beaded those areas as that made cutting the stitches trickier, but it's all in the past now and I am greatly relieved! MD172 arrived the next day, and as it has a lot fewer colors than the previous one it should stitch up more quickly; I'm hoping to be able to start it next January.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting project, can't wait to see your results.
    The SA is so pretty & colorful.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty cool design for a temperature stitch! It seems like it does more than just fill in the diamonds with each days colour, is that just one design per temperature or does it do more? I imagine you could really "encode" high/low/average temperature with that, which would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to be able to do the squares/diamonds beforehand, that will look great when finished!
    Quakers in Japan looks beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete