Monday, June 17, 2024

Another wildlife rescue attempt

Eight years ago, I took a duckling that had been separated from the mother to a local bird sanctuary where they were able to rehome him/her with another family of ducks. A week ago this past Sunday I came across a baby bird who was in even worse shape; it looked like he (I'll go with "he", though I have no idea what sex he/she was--I couldn't even tell what kind of bird he was, he was so little!) had been blown from the nest and a parent had tried to help him, but a hawk must have gotten the parent because there were "parts" scattered on the curb where the baby lay. :( I saw him as we headed out with the dogs for their walk, and cried when I saw him moving and realized what I was seeing. I thought for sure that he was a goner, but when I left for my walk about an hour later, he was still there and still moving, so I couldn't leave him there again.

The bird sanctuary has closed, so I took him to a wildlife rehab center in Green Bay. I held him in my hand the whole way up there, trying to keep him warm, and I could feel him moving and hear him cheeping off and on while I drove, so I knew he hadn't died on the way. Before I handed him over, I took a picture; right before this photo he stretched his head up and opened his mouth to be fed, so I'm slightly hopeful that he can be saved:

I'm debating whether I should call to see if he made it, because I know it will just make me sad if he didn't, but at least he got a chance he wouldn't have had if I had left him there. I learned years ago not to watch nature documentaries because there's just too much carnage, but there wasn't any way to avoid this situation--sigh!

On the stitchy side of things, I spent last week on a Heart in Hand model that I need to mail back today. Now I'm back to Nora Corbett's Mari:

I originally thought that I might get her done in June, as I started her for a June Pixie SAL, but with the week off I'm thinking that's no longer possible; I guess time will tell.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you helped that little guy, sad about his parent though.
    I hope he made it.
    Your Mari is looking great, nice fabric!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I'm running low on these old Silkweaver solos after all these years, and I'll miss them!

      Delete
  2. Mari is gorgeous 😍 and what a great piece of fabric! It's hard to ignore tiny wildlife babies that are in peril. You helped as best as you could. I too hope 'it' survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly, I'm always happy when a fabric I've chosen works out the way I pictured it in my head--you never really know until you start seeing the design appear.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Melanie, I'm the same way. No nature documentaries for me; nature is brutal. I hope he makes it, but even if he doesn't, he was warm and cozy and safe because of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep telling myself; sure hope he made it, though!

      Delete