Monday, March 4, 2024

Slowly getting back to normal

Thank you so much for the well wishes for my mom; she continues to work on getting her strength back in the rehab facility with no big setbacks, so I'm hoping we're past the worst of this particular episode.

I've been a bit all-over-the-place with my stitching lately, as I'm still finding it difficult to settle down and get back into my normal rhythm on any one project. I did finish Kitty Love, the Mill Hill kit I was working on in my last post, and I think he's adorable:

This one wasn't extremely bead heavy, but it's still fun to see the before-and-after photos:


I have Puppy Love all ready to go (in case of emergency!), even though as the years go on, I find myself going from being a dog and cat person to leaning more into just being a cat person. This is what Puppy Love will look like when stitched:

I worked on Miss Pink Mushroom quite a bit and am still enjoying her. I would have to rank orange as being one of my least favorite colors, but there's just something about a little orange lady that makes me really like it in this design:

Last Friday I received a lovely package from Cecilia of Heart in Hand Needleart with some of her new releases from the Nashville Market, which took place this past weekend. Two new Tiny Towns, including Frosty Tiny Town, for which I stitched the drum model, Frosty Frill and a book containing some of her Collector's Hearts from the past 20+ years:



There are six of her Hearts in the book, a few of which include both the original version and an updated version for 2024, as well as a new design called Kindness, which is the round piece on the cover. It's a beautiful book, really a pleasure to look through. I'm hoping to play with some colors and stitch Kindness soon in a different palette than is called for--I'm thinking some purples and pinks, but who knows what I'll end up with when I go stash diving.
I decided that before I started any of the new designs I would make myself finish Harvest Tiny Town; I'm out of empty Qsnaps right now anyway, so I have to finish it so I can frame up a new one! I made just a bit of progress last night, but am hoping to get close to finishing by the end of the week:


For most of February I kept seeing posts on Facebook about Leap Day SALs, where you start something on 2/29/24 and try to finish it on or before 2/29/28. I honestly didn't think I would have the energy to get a project together and be able to start it on time, but things had settled down just enough that by February 26th I decided I would make Mirabilia's Lady of the Flag my Leap Day start. I had bought the kit on clearance many years ago at Hobby Lobby, so all I had to do was pick a fabric; I decided on BANG!!! Cashel linen from Crossed Wing Collection:


Unfortunately, even though the fabric said it was "approximately 24" x 27", which would have left just enough border at the top and bottom, it turned out that all three pieces that I had were only 26" high and were too short to use. So, I went stash diving and came up with a piece of PTP's Mystic on Edinburgh linen; while it won't look like a starry sky, I do think she'll glow on this fabric so I'm reasonably happy with it as a backup. I made a very small start on 2/29 (and now I have four years to finish!):


I also decided at the last minute to create a Facebook group for a Mirabilia Leap Day SAL, where people pick a Mirabilia or Nora Corbett design (or some people are starting more than one) and try to finish it by 2028. I've committed to finishing Lady of the Flag and then giving the chart away to a member of the group at the end of the SAL, so I'm hoping that will make me get her done for sure.

For now it's back to Harvest Tiny Town, and then I'll decide if I want to try to finish Miss Pink Mushroom or make some progress on Lady of the Flag, or start another Tiny Town, or maybe Kindness...

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

10 comments:

  1. The faces on that kitty & doggy are so cute.
    What a fantastic gift from Cecelia.
    That fabric is perfect for Lady,it's going to be awesome!
    Can't wait to see more progress.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn; I'm hoping to work on LOTF at least one day each week, but we'll see how that goes--just glad I have four years to stitch her!

      Delete
    2. Melanie: I love Mill Hill kits, they are coming out with so many different styles of designs.
      Wonderful progress on Miss Mushroom, she is lovely,
      I am not an orange fan myself but this one looks beautiful with the orange colored thread.
      Love Heart In Hand designs, nice progress on Harvest Tiny Town, (love the name Tiny Town) your needle minder on Tiny Town is lovely, may I ask where you got it?
      Looking forward to seeing your progress on Lady Of The Flag.

      Catherine

      Delete
    3. Thanks Catherine. The mushroom needle minder is another one from Clay by Kim from several years ago; she really has a magical touch with clay.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear your mom is improving and things are slowing down a bit. Hope you can get back to a normal routine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind thoughts; things got crazy again but there's maybe just a glimmer of a light at the end of the tunnel...

      Delete
  3. I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you! The Mill Hill kit is very cute and I love your new charts. How amazing it must be to see your name there for the model - although you're probably used to it by now!
    Love your Leap Year start too, I was good and didn't have one. Maybe in 4 years! Shame baout the fabric though. Maybe it was 27" before dying and shrunk a bit? Have you checked if the count is still as advised? I've bought 32ct that shrunk to more of a 33-34ct after dying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I realized the borders were going to be so small at the top and bottom, I didn't bother checking to see if the design would actually fit because there wouldn't have been enough fabric to use my Qsnaps comfortably. It's a shame since I really liked the idea of a starry sky background, but I think the Mystic will work almost as well (fingers crossed!).

      Delete
  4. Oh those Mill Hill are too cute. I don't think I've seen them before. What a fun idea. I missed joining in this year too. That's okay I have more than enough to work on haha. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I already have a ridiculous number of starts floating around my craft room, so what's one more...?! :D

      Delete