Monday, August 2, 2021

It only took 21 years

 I've been a fan of Mirabilia designs pretty much from the start (within a year or so of the first chart--back then you had to go to a shop to actually see charts and I often didn't go for months at a time) so I was excited when Nora had an ornament in the 2000 issue of JCS Christmas Ornaments:

I've always intended to stitch it, but time got away from me so it is now 21 years later and I have finally taken the plunge! I started it last Monday and this is as far as I got until Saturday morning:

It will probably take another three or four days to finish, but the two SALs that I've been doing had parts released over the weekend so I've put this one aside for a few days; really looking forward to finishing it though!

If you're on FB I'm doing a give away connected to this ornament--anyone who stitches it by Christmas of this year will be entered to win Nora Corbett's Holly pixie chart. This is the group if you're interested in joining in the fun; would love to see you there!

The Cecilia Votta SAL part came out on the July 31 instead of August 1 so I stitched that one first and it only took a day:



So yesterday I made a start on the final part of the Jardin Prive SAL, though there's only some fence posts done right now so I won't bother with a picture. There are a couple of things on this one that I'm going to go back and change once it's stitched, but still hoping to have it completed by mid week.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

10 comments:

  1. That's going to be a gorgeous ornament. I'm always going back through my JCS Ornament issues for things to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I have every issue but I honestly believe this is the first time I've actually stitched anything from all of them--there's just never enough time for all I want to stitch!

      Delete
  2. This Nora Corbett design is completely new to me, thank you for sharing this as now I will be on the look out for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find the magazine this ornament is on this DVD: https://www.123stitch.com/item/Just-Cross-Stitch-1997-2013-Collection-DVD/JCDV031

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful ornament.
    I also don't remember it, so will go back & look.
    Great progress on your SAL.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great ornaments in those issues over the years, it's hard to remember them all!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's pretty big for an ornament, but so pretty! I'm sure you'll get it done soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of big for an ornament and I don't really like doing finishing work anyway so I'm thinking I'll just have it framed instead--getting around to doing the finishing might take me another 21 years!

      Delete
  5. Lovely ornament. It's funny because at first glance you wouldn't think it was a Nora Corbett design but when you start stitching you can see the influences from some of her larger designs.
    The Advent is looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely more like some of her earlier still life paintings, which made it fun to stitch--I did it pretty much one color at a time and it was amazing to see the colors meld together to create such depth.

      Delete