Monday, January 3, 2022

Lady of Mystery start

Last week I mentioned that there were a couple of Mirbilias that I've been wanting to start, so after posting I pulled out Lady of Mystery and decided to finally get her ready to go. I have thought about this one a lot over the past several months because I had a hard time picking a fabric for it; it needed to be light enough for the dark scrollwork to show up well, but dark enough to be "mysterious" and I couldn't find anything that meshed with both in my mind. I then worked out a conversion to make the dress green, but still couldn't find a fabric I liked with both the dress and border, so I started thinking about what dark background I could use and it occurred to me that if I went really dark I could use light threads for the border and make her a Lady of Ice, so that's what I've tried to do. I'm using Kreinik braid for the border and Petite Silk Lame for the hair and so far I am really happy with the way it's turning out:



This is what the original design looks like:


I have colors pulled for the dress but I have a feeling people might think they're not going to work so I'm going to keep them to myself for a while. I have a vision in my mind and as long as it works for me that's what matters, but I don't want to second guess myself before I even start. 

I might take some time this week to start Cecilia Votta's SAL for 2022, as I really enjoyed doing her Advent SAL last year. This year she's doing a seasonal piece, and the first part (which is free) has been posted in her FB group. This is the layout preview with the first part stitched:


I have the threads and fabric ready to go, now I just need to pull myself away from Lady of Mystery and get it started--I don't want to get behind right at the start of the SAL or I'll never get it done.

I also have another SAL kitted, this one by Ship's Manor called Folk Art House SAL. This one sucked me in with the floss colors that Erik posted on FB, as they are so bright and cheerful:

Here's what the border will look like:

So far I've received the chart for the border, so I'll try to get a bit of that stitched this month. I very much doubt I'll be able to keep up with this one on a monthly basis, but I look forward to working with those colors as the mood strikes.

Hope everyone has started the New Year well, and wishing a great stitchy week to you all!

13 comments:

  1. Lady of Mystery is looking gorgeous already! Good decision to go lighter for the scrollwork. Intrigued by your dress colour choices now.
    I'm trying to stay away from Mystery SALs as they are a weakness of mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at your discipline when I see your posts on FB! I start out with good intentions but usually start to slide after a few months, though I've been better for the past year or so.

      Delete
  2. Melanie: Wow she is beautiful, the fabric color is stunning, I am looking forward to seeing her progress.
    The SAL looks interesting.

    Happy New Year
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! The fabric is a one-off from HLC Fabrics that I've had for several years--just had to wait for the right design to come along.

      Delete
  3. I think I like your version already!
    That fabric is gorgeous.
    I don't do SALS, as I don't keep up with them.
    I tend to stitch what I want, when I want.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started many SALs over the years, but it's only in the past year or so that I've actually kept up with a few and finished them on schedule. We'll see how long that lasts!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful fabric and she looks stunning already! I'm looking forward to seeing what you've chosen for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The fabric was a one-off from HLC Fabrics; I need to see if another dyer has something similar because I really like the colors in it.

      Delete
  5. That is going to be an amazing piece when finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm looking forward to finishing, hopefully in February.

      Delete
  6. Your version of Lady of Mystery looks great, can't wait to see your colour vision coming to live! Looking forward to seeing your two SALs too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOM and FAH look awesome! You'll tame them in no time.

    ReplyDelete