Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Just another specialty thread

A bit of back story: I have been a cat mom of one or more cats ever since 1997, and about five years ago I started keeping any shed whiskers that I find in the house. And I happen to know that I am not alone in this, as it has been discussed on the 123Stitch message board; some of us cat people REALLY love our cats! ;D Can you guess where I'm going with this?

I've always thought that someday I would stitch some kind of pet design that would just cry out for the use of real whiskers, and yesterday, that design finally arrived! I received Just Nan's Honey Bunny in the mail, and it is such a cute little design that I decided to stitch it up quickly. I stitched it last night, and finished it today. While I was working on it, I kept thinking about how I would stitch/attach the called-for whiskers, and then it hit me--kitty whiskers!

Luckily, I no longer just have black cats, so I am starting to get a good supply of white whiskers as well as black. (Ooh, maybe I'll stitch up a black bunny, too!) Anyway, here are the whiskers I used:


And here is my little bunny:



The whiskers were perfect, as the large end is stiff enough to just slide in the fabric. Unfortunately, I had to crop them a bit, so they're not as curly as they should be, but I love it anyway. I have been giggling to myself all day just thinking about using them. :)

I hope it makes you smile, as well!

P.S. No kitties were harmed in the making of this piece; I only collect naturally shed whiskers! ;D

5 comments:

  1. What an adorable idea. I love it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always had cats too, but never saved whiskers. Good for you for finding a good use for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute bunny...I love the idea of using cat's whiskers. I've never kept any of KC's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!
    And what a cute little bunny too.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say it's unusual idea. I have never heard of such before.

    ReplyDelete