Monday, January 11, 2021

Still in the grip of mitten fever

 Back in November I placed an order with Needlecraft Corner and one of the free charts that was supposed to come with the order was a new Cross Eyed Cricket mitten called The Great Pumpkin. Then the shop owner fell and broke her leg so everything came to a halt for several weeks while she had surgery and started the recovery process. When my order finally shipped in December it arrived without the mitten chart, so Drema kindly sent it out to me. After almost three weeks it finally arrived last week and I was so excited that I stitched it right away:

I have loved black cats since 1997 when I took in a stray cat that showed up at our house, and have had at least one ever since then until this past March when our sweet Maxie passed away. I have tons of black cat patterns; this one is a particular favorite because it looks just like my beloved Tailor:

Last week I also obtained a chart from the CEC designer of an old freebie called Mermaid Mitten, and it was so cute that I then had to stitch it right away. I am missing one silk floss that I had to order so it's not quite done, but here it is so far:


While I like the colors in the Silk'n Colors used for the background I think they were a bit too dark for the little mermaids, who got kind of washed out. So nothing for it except to stitch it again, this time with a lighter SNC for the background!



I am much happier with the second version, and now just have to wait patiently for the floss to arrive so I can finish both of them. I wanted to stitch at least one mitten each month this year and so far I have three in January so I am way ahead of schedule!

Yesterday I was ending a thread on the back of the piece and my needle minder was so strong that it made my needle levitate, which just struck me as a fun image:


Last week I also emptied out the two ort jars on my stitching table into a fillable lamp that I bought a few years ago:


It will be interesting to see how many years worth of thread clippings I can fit in this lamp.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

13 comments:

  1. Great Mitten finishes.
    Can't go wrong with a CEC design.
    Those magnets are so strong, they do weirs things.
    Love that lamp!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What finishing are you planning for all the mittens you have/will stitch? They are all so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know at this point. The only finishing I'm halfway decent at is just flat ornaments--I'm not sure my skills allow for finishing them in the mitten shape! So for now I'll focus on the fun part (the stitching) and worry about finishing when I have a bunch stitched.

      Delete
  3. These mittens are great little in between projects! Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they really are nice little breaks from the "big ones".

      Delete
  4. I love black cats too! I used to have one called Spook.
    The mittens are so cute, you could display them on strings like little kids have threaded through their sleeves so they don't lose them!
    I enjoyed seeing all the Nora Corbett magazine and calendar designs in the previous posts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I'm concerned I won't be able to make the mitten shape look nice, but I guess the only way to find out is to try (and practice!).

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Melanie, everything is so beautiful :)
    I wish you a very nice year,
    Isa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen that black kitty mitten--it's wonderful! Our first kitty was a big, black, floofy boy named Shadow. Wonderful cat. Still miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I would change about cats is to make their life span a lot longer--they are never with us for nearly long enough.

      Delete
  7. I must say the second mitten, the one you made, shows the mermaids better.

    ReplyDelete