Thursday, June 15, 2023

Blackbird has been released

It's always exciting to see a model that you've stitched released, but this is the one I had just started when I found out that I needed surgery to have a large (9 lbs.!) tumor removed last November, so it's bringing up quite a bit of the fear and uncertainty that I was feeling back then. It's funny how much of a stitcher's life is wrapped up in their work, how some pieces will always bring certain memories to the surface. There's still uncertainty because the doctors can't give me a definitive diagnosis (they're leaning towards it being benign, but they can't state that with 100% confidence), but I hope I'm here long enough to be able to look at this piece in a much more peaceful state of mind many years from now!

This is what Nora has to say about her design process on this: "It's meant to be like she's rising from the forest floor and the different patterns represent the complexity of her nature."

So here she is, in all her glory, MD188 Blackbird:











6 comments:

  1. Great job Melanie!
    She's gorgeous, her face is so sweet.
    I hope you get some more definite answers to your diagnosis soon.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I don't think they can give do any more to be definitive, so now it's just getting scanned regularly and hoping for the best!

      Delete
  2. As stitchers, we certainly tend to associate our projects with the time of our life that we worked on them. I have projects that accomponied me across several continents, ones that lead me through grief and joy, it's fun (and sometimes, also scary) to be able to remember all these moments years later!
    Blackbird ist stunning - the three patterns make her very busy but still go well together, and I'm sure they'd be fun to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely stitch parts of ourselves into our pieces, both good and bad. Not sure what I would do without my stitching!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you stitched her so beautifully! So many lovely colours and flowers.
    I hope you continue to be healthy and that YOU can be rising above what you went through.❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the good thoughts, much appreciated.

      Delete