Monday, October 29, 2018

Some finishing and a new start

I decided to use the Victoria Sampler Halloween bookmark I finished a little while back to make a needle minder holder for some of my favorite Halloween minders, and it came out fairly well (though a tad crooked!):


These are really easy to make; I start with my finished piece (or just a plain piece of fabric) and a canvas from the craft section at Target (or wherever they sell them), and stretch the fabric over the canvas and glue the edges to the back side along the edges. Usually I try to have enough fabric so that the fabric can go all the way around to the back, but in this case it was a bit small on two of the sides so I had to glue those sides to the sides of the canvas instead of the back; here's what the back looks like:


Since the two "short" sides looked a bit sloppy like that, I used a ribbon trim to neaten them up:


I attached the sawtooth hanger to the back, added some of my favorite needle minders (using the magnets right through the canvas) and now I have a pretty and functional piece hanging in my craft room!

I received Mirabilia's Lady Justice last Friday, so I took the weekend to make a start on her; I'm using a piece of Sugar Maple Fabric's Heavenly Sky Belfast:


And here's my start:


I should be finishing a model towards the end of the week, then I'll probably take a week or so to work on this one; I'm thinking about using my DMC Golden Skein (floss made with a 24K gold wash) for the scales.

Hope everyone has a great stitchy week!

7 comments:

  1. Great idea with the canvas!
    You've gotten a good start on Lady.
    She will be so pretty, love those colors.
    Happy Halloween!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween to you as well Marilyn; hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  2. Hello, I have stumbled upon your site and am beyond thrilled to discover such a wealth of inspiration. I am so intimidated to choose hand-dyed fabric in fear of making a wrong decision, and here I find a plethora of beautiful decisions. Thank you for sharing your art and talent for others to find and be encouraged by. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no such thing as a wrong decision in stitching--if it makes you happy, go for it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic idea, so much nicer that using a magnetic board! The trim really finishes it nicely.
    Great start on Lady Justice, she's going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The needle minder display is a great idea, I think I'll have to make one of these myself! Great start on Lady Justice too.

    ReplyDelete